Visit the brewery and make your own shochu (1 hour)
Nishiyoshida Shuzo is a shochu brewery that was established in 1893. It is situated in Fukuoka Prefecture near the Chikugo River whose water is clear and full of minerals. Nishiyoshida Shuzo is one of just a few breweries in northern Kyushu that specializes in shochu. On this tour, you will be able to observe almost every stage of the shochu-making process, from steaming the raw materials to distillation. Easy-to-understand explanations are provided during the tour. After observing the different stages of production, you will be able to create a unique blend using three types of shochu. Two of the shochus, Tsukushi Shiro and Tsukushi Kuro, are made from barley and are among Nishiyoshida Shuzo’s best sellers. Finally, create an original label for your shochu blend using your own photos.
- ● Observe the shochu-making process with easy-to-understand explanations
- ● Mix three types of shochu to create an original blend
- ● Experience the taste and aroma of shochu and see how both change depending on the blend
- ● Create a custom label using your own photos
- ● Create an original shochu blend - the only one in the world!
- ● After the experience, enjoying shopping in the store
Why do you make shochu in the Chikugo region?
The Chikugo region, where Nishiyoshida Brewery is located, is blessed by the mineral-rich waters of the Chikugo River. This river is fed by nearby Mt. Aso and provides abundant water and fertile soil to the region where rice and barley are grown, and sake is produced. Shochu production first began in the region as a result of sake making. When sake is made, a by-product called sake-lees is created. In order to spread the sake lees on the fields as fertilizer, it is steamed to remove the alcohol content. Shochu is produced as the steam cools and in the past, was given to the village headman who would serve it to villagers during festivals and other events.
Observe the shochu-making process
Visitors can observe almost every stage of the shochu-making process, from steaming the raw materials to distillation. Easy-to-understand explanations are given throughout the tour and if the timing is right, visitors will be able to stir the fermenting mash and smell the unique aromas.
Original shochu making
Mix three different types of shochu to create your own original blend. Tsukushi White and Tsukushi Black are made from the same wheat and black koji but have different flavors due to their different distillation methods. Tsukushi Kinjirushi Barrel has its own distinct aroma from being barrel aged. Experiment with the unique flavor profiles that can be created by blending these shochus. Once you have found a combination to your liking, fill a 500ml bottle and attach a custom label. This custom blend makes for a great present or souvenir!
Saturday, Sunday 14:00~
*Request type: Please send us your preferred dates using the inquiry form. We will check availability and get back to you.
Please note that the tour cannot be held on August 15 and December 20 – January 5.
*Near Nishiyoshida Shuzo are the Funagoya Hot Springs, Koinoki Shrine, and Kyushu Geibukan. Please stop by and visit during your trip.
Minimum 2 people / Maximum 6 people
If you wish to participate in a group of more than 6, please contact us for details.
7 days prior to the experience
Advance payment by credit card via the application form（VISA,Master,Amex,JCB)
Please wear flat, non-heeled shoes as the brewery you will be touring has uneven floors. You will be asked to wear a disposable hat and disinfect the soles of your shoes during the tour.
Travel Planning: Implementation
- UNA Laboratories Inc. (Fukuoka Prefectural Governor Registration #2-951)
- 3-12-22-302 Yakuin, Chuo-ku, Fukuoka-shi, Fukuoka Prefecture 810-0022
- TEL: 092-982-7956E-MAIL: email@example.com
- Domestic Certified Travel Supervisors:
Aya Tamura, Noriko Yahata, Rei Watanabe
- Business Hours:
9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Monday through Friday (Closed Saturdays, Sundays, and Holidays)
- *Requests received outside of business hours will be processed the following business day.
- *Domestic Certified Travel Supervisors are responsible for transactions held at the sales office that processes customers’ travel. Please do not hesitate to contact the aforementioned Domestic Certified Travel Supervisors with any questions or concerns regarding the travel contract.
- Saturday, Sunday 14:00~ *Request type: Please send us your preferred dates using the inquiry form. We will check availability and get back to you. Please note that the tour cannot be held on August 15 and December 20 - January 5.
- 1 hour
- Recommended Age
- Over 20 years
- 2,700yen (tax included)
- Included in the price: brewery tour, one 500ml bottle of original blended shochu (please inquire separately if you want to make more than one bottle)