Indigo Dye a Japanese Tenugui Cloth at Tanaka Kasuri Kobo
Workshop Visit and Cloth Dyeing (1-1.5hrs)
Kurume Kasuri has a history of over 200 years stemming from southern Fukuoka Prefecture. Tanaka Kasuri Kobo in Chikugo City is one of the few remaining kasuri weavers who continue the traditional practice of dyeing with indigo and hand-weaving their products. Under the guidance of Toshihiro Tanaka, the fourth-generation head of Tanaka Kasuri Kobo, you can experience indigo dyeing using the workshop's own indigo vats. Dye a Japanese tenugui cloth in the pattern of your choice or dye a piece of material brought from home. (*An extra charge may be applied depending on the size and weight of the item brought.) This introductory course is recommended for those interested in learning more about Kurume Kasuri and want to try indigo dyeing themselves.
- ● Observe the technique of creating traditional indigo-dyed, hand-woven Kurume Kasuri
- ● Experience the fermentation of indigo and see the beautiful color change before your eyes
- ● Dye a Japanese "tenugui" cloth (provided) or bring your own item to design and dye
- ● Work and talk directly with the artisan to deepen your understanding of Kurume Kasuri
- ● After the experience, browse and purchase Tanaka Kasuri Kobo’s kasuri products (optional)
Kurume Kasuri: One of the Three Major Kasuri Styles in Japan
Kasuri is a textile weaving technique where pre-dyed threads (either the warp, weft, or both) are used to create patterns in woven fabric. The kasuri technique is said to have originated in India before spreading throughout the world, entering Japan first through Okinawa. Kurume Kasuri is a kasuri fabric from the former Kurume domain (Hirokawa, Chikugo, Yame, etc.) and was invented in 1800 by a girl named Den Inoue. While less than 20 weavers in the area remain today, the area is characterized by the wide range of techniques that are used – from traditional hand-weaving and indigo-dyeing to power-driven shuttle loom weaving.
When Exposed to Oxygen, the Material Turns a Beautiful Indigo Blue
In the first half of the tour, prepare your material for the indigo dyeing experience. Reference dyed samples or come up with an original pattern by combining different tying, folding, and clamping techniques. After the preparations are complete, move to the dyeing space where a line of indigo vats is situated in the ground. Enjoy the excitement of seeing the indigo-dyed fabric change from brown to blue before your eyes as it is exposed to oxygen. If you bring your own fabric to dye, depending on the size and weight, an additional fee may be required. Please see the estimate for additional charges in the table below. photo:marisaroundtheworld
Sun, Mon, Tues: 10:00-, 13:00-
Request type: Please send us your desired dates using the inquiry form. We will check availability and get back to you.
|Additional charge for dyeing your own items
*The above prices are estimates. The actual fee will be determined by the craftsman on the day of, after they have seen the weight and size of the material. If you plan to dye your own item, please soak it in water before bringing it to the tour.
Minimum 2 / Maximum 6
Up to five days before the tour
Advance payment by credit card (VISA, Master, Amex, JCB) using a form once the request has been confirmed.
3 to 1 day(s) preceding the tour start date: 50% of the tour fee
Before departure on the day of the tour: 100% of the tour fee
No-show without prior notification or cancellation after the start of tour: 100% of the tour fee
Travel Planning: Implementation
- UNA Laboratories Inc. (Fukuoka Prefectural Governor Registration #2-951)
- 3-12-22-302 Yakuin, Chuo-ku, Fukuoka-shi, Fukuoka Prefecture 810-0022
- TEL: 092-982-7956E-MAIL: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Domestic Certified Travel Supervisors:
Aya Tamura, Noriko Yahata, Rei Watanabe
- Business Hours:
9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Monday through Friday (Closed Saturdays, Sundays, and Holidays)
- *Requests received outside of business hours will be processed the following business day.
- *Domestic Certified Travel Supervisors are responsible for transactions held at the sales office that processes customers’ travel. Please do not hesitate to contact the aforementioned Domestic Certified Travel Supervisors with any questions or concerns regarding the travel contract.
- Sun, Mon, Tues: 10:00~, 13:00~
Request type: Please send us your desired date using the inquiry form. We will check availability and get back to you.
- 1-1.5 hours
- Recommended Age
- Suitable for All Ages
- 6,000yen (tax included)
- * Material fee included
* Participants under 12 years old: ￥3,000