Experience the Crafts of Yame Through Matcha Tea
Kurume Kasuri textiles, buddhist altars, wooden bucket-making, carpentry — Yame is a place where craftspeople live and work side-by-side. Craftpeople from each of these traditions were asked to create an original utensil/tool to be used in the matcha process. Enjoy a tea experience unique to Yame. The experience takes place at Maruyasabo in the Fukushima district of Yame, a beautiful white-walled traditional townscape dating back hundreds of years. Under the guidance of Asuka Hori, a master tea practitioner, you can try your hand at making some of your own matcha tea. Ms. Hori, who is well acquainted with Yame's craftspeople, is filled with captivating stories and knowledge. Allow this experience to serve as the gateway to your Yame journey.
- ● Enjoy Yame matcha tea with original cups and utensils made by Yame craftspeople
- ● Take in the atmosphere of Yame’s traditional townscape, where Maruyasabo is located
- ● Make your own matcha tea — though it may seem intimidating it’s actually quite a simple process
- ● Pair Yame matcha tea with fresh sweets from Kikuya, a long-standing Japanese confectionery in Yame
- ● Ask the teahouse master Askua Hori about the best local spots
- ● This program is also recommended for first-time visitors to Yame
Yame’s Fukushima District: A Townscape Filled with Beautiful White-Walled Buildings
The Fukushima district of Yame City, which developed as a castle town in the early Edo period (~1600s), was severely damaged by a large typhoon in 1991. Afterwards, the government worked with citizens to preserve the townscape, a collection of traditional streets painted in beautiful white and red ochre. Maruyasabo is located in a renovated old house, right in the center of this historical district.
Experience the Diversity of Yame’s Handicrafts through a Matcha Experience
Experience the work of many different Yame craftspeople through this matcha tea program. The lacquer and gold tea containers are made by buddhist altar makers at Ogata Butsudan Honten, while the round tea trays are made by Shuichi Kunitake, a woodworker whose studio is located on the same street as Maruyasabo.
Monday, Thursday ~ Sunday from 14:00
※ In the traditional part of Yame where Maruyasabo is located, one can also find Yame’s oldest tea shop, Konomi Honke, and the Unagi no Nedoko bookstore, located in a renovated old Japanese townhouse. The bookstore is located in the same building as Craft Inn 手 [té], an inn where visitors can experience using locally-made handicrafts.
1 to 4
3 days before the start of the tour
Advance payment at the time of application (VISA, Mastercard, Amex, JCB)
Please wear comfortable clothes
3 to 1 day(s) preceding the tour start date: 50% of the tour fee
UNA Laboratories COVID-19 Prevention Measures
UNA Laboratories is committed to ensuring the safety of our customers, staff, and community. In accordance with municipal, national, and industry guidelines for the prevention of infectious diseases, UNA Laboratories is implementing the following measures:
- 1. Guides will wear a face shield during tours.
- 2. Guests are requested to wear a mask.
- 3. Hand-sanitizing alcohol will be provided.
- 4. We will check your temperature and general physical condition at the start of the tour. UNA Laboratories reserves the right to refuse tour participation if a customer’s temperature is over 37 degrees Celsius.
- 5. We strive to maintain adequate social distance throughout the tour, so the maximum number of participants will be capped at six.
Travel Planning: Implementation
- UNA Laboratories Inc. (Fukuoka Prefectural Governor Registration #2-951)
- 3-12-22-302 Yakuin, Chuo-ku, Fukuoka-shi, Fukuoka Prefecture 810-0022
- TEL: 092-982-7956E-MAIL: email@example.com
- Domestic Certified Travel Supervisors:
Aya Tamura, Noriko Yahata, Rei Watanabe
- Business Hours:
9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Monday through Friday (Closed Saturdays, Sundays, and Holidays)
- *Requests received outside of business hours will be processed the following business day.
- *Domestic Certified Travel Supervisors are responsible for transactions held at the sales office that processes customers’ travel. Please do not hesitate to contact the aforementioned Domestic Certified Travel Supervisors with any questions or concerns regarding the travel contract.
- Monday, Thursday ~ Sunday from 14:00 ※Tours are held by request. Please send us your preferred dates using the inquiry form. We will check availability and get back to you as soon as possible.
- 1 Hour
- Recommended Age
- Suitable for All Ages
- 3,800yen (tax included)
- Included in the tour price: two cups of matcha tea, omogashi sweets and higashi dried candies, and tea ceremony experience