Create Your Own Yakuzen Blend from Local Ingredients (1hr)
Yakuzen is a culinary tradition that combines food and natural medicine to match the seasons and physical condition of those who eat it. In fact, Kagoshima has had a deep connection with yakuzen since the time it was governed as the Satsuma feudal domain several hundred years ago. The clan’s 25th ruler, Shigehide Shimazu, compiled an ecology of medicine herbs and edible remedies across mainland honshu Japan to the Ryukyu Kingdom (modern Okinawa) into the Shitsumon Honsou (“Inquiry of Herbal Medicine”) — this text serving as a foundation of modern yakuzen practice. In this program, learn about the history of Kagoshima while making original yakuzen shichimi using local spices.
- ● Make an original yakuzen recipe using ingredients from Kagoshima
- ● Grind ingredients by hand to make an amazingly fragrant shichimi blend
- ● Learn about the medicinal functions of each of the 7 ingredients
- ● Unravel the relationship between the Shimazu clan, Satsuma feudal domain, and yakuzen
- ● Take home the shichimi spice you have made as a souvenir
Yakuzen Komachi: A New World of Medicinal Food
The Satsuma feudal domain has a long history of maintaining herbal gardens to contribute to the clan’s finances, such as Yamakawa, Yoshino, and Sata Yakuen. Tensho-in (Atsuhime), the official wife of shogun Tokugawa Iesada, was said to have particularly loved the longan fruit of Sata Yakuen. Some of the remedies in the pages of the Shitsumon Honsou (“Inquiry of Herbal Medicine”) compiled by the 25th Satsuma clan ruler, Shigehide Shimazu, are similar to contemporary yakuzen. Amidst this backdrop steeped in rich history, Yakuzen Komachi proposes a new world of yakuzen through products made from carefully selected ingredients grown in their own farms held by a pesticide-free standard, blended and roasted through original methods by international yakuzen masters. Stocked with an immense variety of spices, yakuzen tea, and ingredients to make yakuzen liquor, the shop will keep you wanting more and more.
Experience the Fresh Aromas of Yakuzen
Begin the program by enjoying herbal tea while learning about the relationship between Kagoshima and yakuzen, along with Yakuzen Komachi’s approach to yakuzen. Afterwards, head to the workshop where Yakuzen Komachi blends their yakuzen, and make your very own shichimi spice from local chili peppers and other carefully selected ingredients — all while learning about the medicinal functions of each herb. Grinding each ingredient with a special tool releases surprisingly fresh aromas. The main ingredients are as follows (subject to change depending on availability):
- ・Chili Peppers (in-house): warms the body and helps fight colds
- ・Chenpi Sun-Dried Orange Peel (Kagoshima): regulates the stomach
- ・Sansho Pepper (Wakayama): relieves itchiness
- ・Sea Lettuce (Kagoshima): eliminates phlegm and throat inflammation
- ・Sesame (Kagawa): nourishes the blood
- ・Hemp Seed (China): encourages sweating to heal illness
- ・Roasted Chili Peppers (in-house): promotes digestion
Monday to Saturday 14:00~ by request
About 1 hour
Japanese●Supplementary explanations in English via translation device or lecture board can be provided upon request. Please make a note in the message box during registration to request this service.※An English interpreter can also be arranged for an additional fee. Please contact UNA Laboratories for more details.
Minimum 2 / Maximum 6
3 days before the start of the tour (for example, please apply by October12th for a tour that starts on October 15th)
Advance payment at the time of reservation (VISA, Mastercard, Amex, JCB)
Please feel free to wear whatever you like.
|Note about Tour Conductors||
There will be no tour conductor from UNA Laboratories accompanying this program. Customers are responsible for managing their own itineraries.
3 to 1 day(s) preceding the tour start date: 50% of the tour fee
Travel Planning: Implementation
- UNA Laboratories Inc. (Fukuoka Prefectural Governor Registration #2-951)
- 3-12-22-302 Yakuin, Chuo-ku, Fukuoka-shi, Fukuoka Prefecture 810-0022
- TEL: 092-982-7956E-MAIL: email@example.com
- Domestic Certified Travel Supervisors:
Aya Tamura, Noriko Yahata, Rei Watanabe
- Business Hours:
9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Monday through Friday (Closed Saturdays, Sundays, and Holidays)
- *Requests received outside of business hours will be processed the following business day.
- *Domestic Certified Travel Supervisors are responsible for transactions held at the sales office that processes customers’ travel. Please do not hesitate to contact the aforementioned Domestic Certified Travel Supervisors with any questions or concerns regarding the travel contract.