Explore Beppu from an Artist’s Perspective (2hrs)
Beppu City in Oita Prefecture boasts one of the largest numbers of hot springs in the world. But apart from geothermal relaxation, Beppu has also become a hub for art since the non-profit BEPPU PROJECT was launched in 2005 and began hosting its international art festivals. This tour will take you on a walk around Beppu with one of its active artists, Masamitsu Katsu.
An artist residency and studio, the Kiyoshima Apartment can be referred to as the “Tokiwa-so of Art,” a name that refers to the no-frills apartment building in Tokyo that housed prominent manga artists such as Osamu Tezuka (Astro Boy) and Fujiko Fujio (Doraemon). A resident of the Kiyoshima Apartment since its inception, Masamitsu Katsu has continued and expanded his artistic practice while becoming an active part of the local community. Explore the city of Beppu from an artist’s unique perspective, all through a personalized walking tour experience.
- ● Walk and explore Beppu from an artist’s perspective
- ● Masamitsu Katsu, an artist well versed in Beppu’s history and customs, will be your guide
- ● See Beppu Station, Taro Okamoto’s mural, Takegawara Onsen’s architecture, and other destinations in an itinerary personalized to match your interests
- ● Visit the Kiyoshima Apartment artist residency, also known as the “Tokiwa-so of Art”
- ● After exploring the city, you can shop at SELECT BEPPU
- ● All participants will receive a postcard duplicate of a pencil sketch by Masamitsu Katsu depicting a memorable scene from their walking tour.
Beppu: The Worldwide Capital of Hot Springs
Located between Beppu Bay and a volcanic belt, Beppu is home to more than 2000 springs that yield the highest amount of hot spring water in the world. Beppu’s history with hot springs is so extensive that it was also recorded in the
Revitalizing a Historical Hot Spring Town Through Art
Beppu has thrived as a hot spring town for generations, but this reputation has been dwindling in recent years. Amidst this changing backdrop, BEPPU PROJECT strives to revitalize the city through art. The organization has spearheaded events such as the triennial “Mixed Bathing World” international art festival, the “in Beppu” art festival that highlights solo exhibitions, and the public culture festival “Beppu Art Month.”
Kiyoshima Apartment: The Tokiwa-so of Art
Built shortly after World War II, the Kiyoshima Apartment is a former boarding house. As one of the venues for 2009’s Mixed Bathing World festival, over 100 groups of young artists from across Japan gathered here to create and exhibit work during their stay. Since then, BEPPU PROJECT has operated the building as a residence and art studio. Every year, 8 groups of artists are chosen through an open-call application process; these residents host events and exhibitions while living communally.
Take a Walk Through Beppu From an Artist’s Perspective
Artist and guide Masamitsu Katsu was based in Tokyo and active both in Japan and overseas, but moved to Beppu in 2009 with the launch of the Kiyoshima Apartments. More than ten years have passed since. Through his involvement with youth groups and painting schools, Katsu has immersed himself in the local community and unravelled the history of the city’s streets and buildings. A stroll with him is not simply a tour of various art pieces scattered across Beppu, but rather a walking exploration from an artist’s perspective. Journey through the city’s many layers that stretch all the way back to the early 20th century Taisho and Showa Eras! In addition to the main destinations that are part of every tour, the walking tour stops are personalized to meet your specific interests.
A Personalized Postcard Memory
All participants will receive a postcard duplicate of a pencil sketch by Masamitsu Katsu depicting a memorable scene from their walking tour.
First and fourth Saturday of each month 13:00~
Japanese●Supplementary explanations in English via translation device or lecture board can be provided upon request. Please make a note in the message box during registration to request this service.※An English interpreter can also be arranged for an additional fee. Please contact UNA Laboratories for more details.
Minimum 2 / Maximum 6
3 days before the start of the tour (for example, please apply by October 7th for a tour that starts on October 10th)
Advance payment at the time of reservation (VISA, Mastercard, Amex, JCB)
Please wear clothes that are comfortable to walk in. Even better if you can bring a towel (for the hot springs)!
|Note about Tour Conductors||
There will be no tour conductor from UNA Laboratories accompanying this program. Customers are responsible for managing their own itineraries.
3 to 1 day(s) preceding the tour start date: 50% of the tour fee
Travel Planning: Implementation
- UNA Laboratories Inc. (Fukuoka Prefectural Governor Registration #2-951)
- 3-12-22-302 Yakuin, Chuo-ku, Fukuoka-shi, Fukuoka Prefecture 810-0022
- TEL: 092-982-7956E-MAIL: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Domestic Certified Travel Supervisors:
Aya Tamura, Noriko Yahata, Rei Watanabe
- Business Hours:
9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Monday through Friday (Closed Saturdays, Sundays, and Holidays)
- *Requests received outside of business hours will be processed the following business day.
- *Domestic Certified Travel Supervisors are responsible for transactions held at the sales office that processes customers’ travel. Please do not hesitate to contact the aforementioned Domestic Certified Travel Supervisors with any questions or concerns regarding the travel contract.
- First and fourth Saturday of each month 14:00~
※The tour will not be held on dates marked with (-) on the reservation form.
- 2 hours
- Recommended Age
- Suitable for All Ages
- 5,800yen (tax included)
- ※includes sketch
※Free for those under 6
※Masamitsu Katsu will create a pencil drawing of a memorable scene from your walking tour, and mail you a postcard duplicate at a later date