Meet the Creatives of Beppu with Artist Masamitsu Katsu
This is a special town walk around Beppu organized and led by Masamitsu Katsu, a local artist who has lived in the area for 15 years. During this personal art experience, meet Beppu’s creative community and visit their local workspaces.
- ● Experience Beppu from an artist’s point of view.
- ● Guided by Masamitsu Katsu, an artist who has been part of Beppu’s local community since 2009. Masamitsu has taught as an art instructor and is head of the local hot spring community association.
- ● The tour follows in the footsteps of artists from the past and visits studios of current artists where guests meet local creatives firsthand.
- ● Visit the Kiyoshima Apartment artist residency, also known as Beppu’s art version of “Tokiwa-sō”.
- ● Visit the Beppu Minami Gallery (temporary) and shop for unique artwork created in Beppu.
- ● Participants will receive a postcard with a pencil sketch of the tour at a later date. (It is different from the one given during the "Explore Beppu from an Artist’s Perspective (2hrs)” tour.)
Walk and Explore Beppu from an Artist’s Perspective
Together with Masamitsu Katsu, a 15-year resident of Beppu, visit the most compelling art spots of the day including exhibitions, talk events, outdoor artworks, and the residencies of overseas artists. Feel the dynamism of the art community, meet artists in their studios, and experience an intimate exchange that is not possible in museums and galleries.
Purchase Goods Made by Local Artists
At the end of the tour, you will be able to purchase a unique selection of Beppu-made artwork and goods that are not found in other stores.
A Postcard Memory of the Tour
Participants will later receive a postcard (copy) of a pencil sketch drawn by Masamitsu Katsu himself. (The scene is different from the one given in the “Beppu Town Walk with Artist Masamitsu Katsu (2 hours)” tour.)
Tokyo Destiny Land
Tokyo Destiny Land is a solo show actor, born in 1975. As a child, they attended school in Tokyo, worked regular jobs, and were without hobbies until the age of 20. After seeing a theater group advertisement in the dating magazine, “Jamaru”, they decided to join. It was the first time that Tokyo Destiny Land took off their glasses, and after being called “handsome”, their soul was ignited. Since then, Tokyo Destiny Land has been traveling throughout Japan, from Hokkaido to Kyushu, as an actor. They are amazed to have finally found themself in Beppu.
Tomoe Higashi is a Japanese painter who graduated from a Fine Arts MFA program in the historic city of Bath, England. Through many layers of colors and motifs, she expresses her experiences and feelings through her paintings. Tomoe’s works of art emit an aura that attracts many a viewer’s eye, but it is only the artist herself who knows their true messages.
Noritaka Munehisa is a kiriko (glass-cutting) artist born in Hiroshima Prefecture in 1988. After graduating from glass art school, he studied traditional Japanese glass-cutting techniques in Kagoshima and Saitama prefectures. While using traditional techniques, he seeks to create new and unconventional expressions of glass through his work.
Influenced by her grandmother, On learned to create items she wanted from a young age. Designing the clothes she wore, fashion became a way of expressing her identity. After graduating from college, On pursued a full-fledged career in fashion. In 2012, she set up a workshop and store in the corner of Beppu’s North Elevated Shopping Street (Kita Kouka Shotengai) where she continues her creative activities today.
The guide’s own work will be introduced at the Suehiro Onsen Community Center, where he is the head of the association.
This is an art space under the elevated railway tracks of Beppu Station, run by Naoyuki Hata. Utilizing vacant stores in the shopping arcade, the exhibition sometimes extends into neighboring spaces. As of December 2023, Art Space Genjitsu is only open on the fourth Monday of each month.
Request type: Please send us your preferred dates using the inquiry form. We will check availability and get back to you as soon as possible.
*Please note that many stores and restaurants in Beppu are closed on Tuesdays and Wednesdays. If requested, we can arrange tours these days, but please understand the situation in advance.
*The end time may be extended depending on the day. Please let us know at the start of the tour if you have plans afterward.
For English: Upon request, we can provide simple, supplementary explanations in English using a translation application. If desired, please let us know in the message box when you register.
*English interpreters can also be arranged for an additional fee. Please contact us for details.
Minimum 2 / Maximum 6
10 days before the start of the tour
Advance payment at the time of reservation (VISA, Mastercard, Amex, JCB)
Please wear clothes that are comfortable to walk in.
3 to 1 day(s) preceding the tour start date: 50% of the tour fee
Travel Planning: Implementation
- UNA Laboratories Inc. (Fukuoka Prefectural Governor Registration #2-951)
- 3-12-22-302 Yakuin, Chuo-ku, Fukuoka-shi, Fukuoka Prefecture 810-0022
- TEL: 092-982-7956E-MAIL: email@example.com
- Domestic Certified Travel Supervisors:
Aya Tamura, Noriko Yahata, Rei Watanabe
- Business Hours:
9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Monday through Friday (Closed Saturdays, Sundays, and Holidays)
- *Requests received outside of business hours will be processed the following business day.
- *Domestic Certified Travel Supervisors are responsible for transactions held at the sales office that processes customers’ travel. Please do not hesitate to contact the aforementioned Domestic Certified Travel Supervisors with any questions or concerns regarding the travel contract.
- ※14:00~ Tours are held by request. Please send us your preferred dates using the inquiry form. We will check availability and get back to you as soon as possible.
- 2 hours
- Recommended Age
- Suitable for All Ages
- 5,800yen (tax included)
- ※Includes a postcard (copy) of a pencil drawing by Masamitsu Kastu. If the participant lives overseas, the postcard may be sent digitally.
※Free for those under 6