Ureshino’s Sake Brewery, Seto Shuzo
A Luxurious Sake Brewing Tour and Tasting (1.5 hours)
Seto Shuzo* is located in the Shiota district of Ureshino City and is famous for being one of Douglas MacArthur's favorite sakes. On this tour, visitors will be able to enter Seto Shuzo, a place usually off-limits to brewery outsiders. Heita Seto, the 9th generation head of Seto Shuzo, will guide guests through the brewery and teach about the brewing process, types of sake, and characteristics that make Seto Shuzo unique. Inside the over 100-year-old brewery, guests will be able to see large, state-of-the-art equipment lined up. A true sight to behold! After the brewery tour, enjoy tasting a selection of Seto Shuzo’s recommended sakes in luxurious Riedel glasses. *Shuzo means sake brewery
- ● Observe the sake-making process with easy-to-understand explanations
- ● A master brewer will personally guide you on the tour, so you can hear their thoughts and stories about the brewing process
- ● Tour an archived collection of important sake brewing tools that have been passed down from generation to generation
- ● Taste a variety of Seto Shuzo sakes using Riedel glasses
- ● After the tour, feel free to purchase Seto Shuzo sake
“Azumacho”, Praised for Being “Worthy of the Ruler of Eastern Japan”
Seto Shuzo is located in the quiet countryside of Shiota-cho, Ureshino City, and was founded in 1789. It is said that Takashi Hara, who created Japan’s first political party cabinet, named it “Azumacho” for its refreshing taste and ease of drinkability. He praised it for being “worthy of the ruler of Eastern Japan.”
Later, just after the end of the war in 1945, this sake happened to catch the eye of General Douglas MacArthur at a party hosted by the GHQ (General Headquarters). Upon enjoying the sake so much, Azumacho soon became a GHQ-designated product.
Azumacho’s unique characteristic, is its fine sweetness that makes the most of the flavor of rice. All Amzumacho sake, from premium Daiginjo to regular Honjozo, is made with locally grown rice from Saga Prefecture and is brewed in a three-stage process.
Observe the Sake Brewing Process
Visitors will learn about the sake brewing process as they tour the inside of the large brewery. They will be able to engage their senses as they touch the milled rice, smell the aroma of the yeast mash from an open tank, and observe the automatic movement of the machine’s paddles. During the tour, the guide will teach about Seto Shuzo’s passion for and commitment to sake brewing.
Sake Brewing Museum Tour
Visit an archived collection of sake brewing tools that have been carefully preserved for generations.
The tools allow visitors to imagine how sake brewing was done in the past and understand how difficult the work was.
Sake Tasting in Special Wine Glasses
Inside the historic brewery, visitors can sample various types of Seto Shuzo sake using special Riedel glasses. During the tasting, the brewery master will explain the different characteristics of each sake and the secrets behind its production.
Request type: Please send us your preferred dates using the inquiry form. We will check availability and get back to you.
Only available from November to April.
Minimum 2 people / Maximum 10 people
If you wish to participate in a group of more than 10, please contact us for details.
10 days prior to the experience
Advance payment by credit card via the application form（VISA,Master,Amex,JCB)
Please wear flat shoes (no heels) as the brewery has uneven floors. You will be asked to wear a disposable hat, coat, and slippers during the tour.
Travel Planning: Implementation
- UNA Laboratories Inc. (Fukuoka Prefectural Governor Registration #2-951)
- 3-12-22-302 Yakuin, Chuo-ku, Fukuoka-shi, Fukuoka Prefecture 810-0022
- TEL: 092-982-7956E-MAIL: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Domestic Certified Travel Supervisors:
Aya Tamura, Noriko Yahata, Rei Watanabe
- Business Hours:
9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Monday through Friday (Closed Saturdays, Sundays, and Holidays)
- *Requests received outside of business hours will be processed the following business day.
- *Domestic Certified Travel Supervisors are responsible for transactions held at the sales office that processes customers’ travel. Please do not hesitate to contact the aforementioned Domestic Certified Travel Supervisors with any questions or concerns regarding the travel contract.
- Request type: Please send us your preferred dates using the inquiry form. We will check availability and get back to you.
Only available from November to April.
- 1.5 hours
- Recommended Age
- Over 20 years
- 5,500yen (tax included)
- ※ Included in the price: brewery tour, tasting