A Trip With UNA
- Crafts & Food
We offer programs to experience the cultures of Kyushu with a focus on crafts and food. UNA introduces you to a world of workshops and production sites not easily accessible on one's own.
Join us to explore modern cultures rooted in local climates, histories, and traditions — what we term “nativescapes.”
Our goal is to create a journey that inspires both visitors and those who welcome them. We invite you to be a part of our community, even if for a short time.
CRAFT & ARTS EXPERIENCES
- Through the Streets of a Historical Machiya District
- Yame Fukushima: Meet the Craftspeople Keeping Traditions Alive (1.5 hours)
Dates: 12/9 (Sat), 12/16 (Sat), 12/23 (Sat)
- An Easy-to-Make Eco-Friendly Reusable Bag
- Create Your Own Azuma Bag at Nomura Textile（~1hr 45min）
Dates: Please send us your preferred dates using the request form.
- Indigo Dyeing Steeped in Kurume Kasuri Tradition
- Make Your Very Own Indigo Art at Aizome Kasuri Kobo (2hrs)
Saturday 14:00-, Sunday 10:30-
Dates: 12/17 (Sun), 12/24 (Sun)
1/20 (Sat), 1,27 (Sat)
- Visit an Innovative Kurume Kasuri Weaver’s Workshop
- Transform Kurume Kasuri into a Scarf at Shimogawa Textile (2hrs)
Weekday 14:00~, Saturday 10:00~
Dates: Please send us your preferred dates.
- Tracing the Roots of an Art of Paper and Glue
- Create Washi Paper Lamps with a Yamaga Lantern Craftsperson (2hrs)
Friday, Saturday 13:00-
Dates: 12/15(Fri),12 /16(Sat), 12/22(Fri), 12/23(Sat), 12/29(Fri), 12/30(Sat)
Through the study tour led by UNA Laboratories, we met Kyushu practitioners beyond our imagination and discovered a Japan we had never seen before!
Professor, National Taiwan University
We really enjoyed the pottery experience and are extremely happy with how well we were treated. Both the host and translator were very helpful and knowledgeable. The pottery making itself was great fun and we all got to make some very nice pieces. Everything was very well organized. Thank you to all involved.
Independent Traveler, Ireland
Rei and Megumi were incredibly kind, professional, and knowledgeable. They put together an impeccable tour for 16 students; every detail was considered to create the most fulfilling and smooth experience. We all left with such respect and appreciation for the craftsmen and organisers and would visit again if ever given the chance!
Senior Tutor, Imperial College London